Ramazan Kareem everyone. Hope you all are having a blissful time. You must have done a lot of preps for ramazan or are you like me who dint do much. So when everyone around me was raving about ramazan preps, i was getting a little paranoid that i haven’t done much. A toddler in the house and living alone abroad isnt very easy sometimes.
So to keep up with the ramazan preps what i did i ordered some home made aftari stuff and made this tamarind chuttney, which turned out amazing.
Before i start off with the recipe let me tell you a hack which may help you. On my last trip to karachi, i found this pack of tamarind paste at Motta’s which is free of seeds and the tamarind peel just strained clean tamarind paste ready to use. Tadaaaaa. So that means it will cut short the chuttney making time with no pre soaking or pre boiling required and the tedious process of getting rid of the seeds. Heres the pack that i got.
- Tamarind paste 400gms which is equivalent to 1 kg of normal imli you buy.
- Water 4 glasses
- Sugar 2 cups or to taste
- Red chilli powder 1 and a half tblsp or to taste
- Salt to taste
- My Secret ingredient: Chaat Masala 2 tblsp or to taste.
Note: i kept adjusting the spices until they reached my desired taste. So they may vary from the above stated quantity. Thats why i wrote to taste. You may start by adding less and build it up accoriding to your taste buds.
- Pour 4 glasses of water and tamarind paste in the pan and mix well.
- Turn on the heat and let it cook.
- Add salt, sugar and chilli powder, let it cook, keep stirring and you may adjust spice level according to tour taste. You may add more water if you like.
- Lastly add the secret ingredient thats the chaat masala. If you haven’t been adding it uptil now, add it and you will be surprised what zing it can bring to your chuttney.
- Check and adjust sugar and salt once again. Keep cooking until it has reached your desired taste and thickness.
- Cool it down, transfer to the jar and refrigerate.
See how easy it is to make a tamrind chuttney. You can easily find tamarind pastes in your super market. I have seen jars of tamarind paste in muscat as well. So if you havent made it uptil now. You may try making it this easy way. Happy Ramazan once again and remember me in prayers.